Documents required to open an account under Pradhan Mantri Jan-Dhan Yojana
- If Aadhaar Card / Aadhaar Number is available, then no other documents are required. If the address has changed, then a self-certification of current address is sufficient.
- If Aadhaar Card is not available, then any one of the following Officially Valid Documents (OVD) is required: Voter ID Card, Driving License, PAN Card, Passport & NREGA Card. If these documents also contain your address, it can serve both as Proof of Identity and Address.
- If a person does not have any of the “Officially Valid Documents” mentioned above, but it is categorized as low risk by the banks, then he / she can open a bank account by submitting any one of the following documents:
- Identity Card with applicant’s photograph issued by Central/State Government Departments.
- Statutory/Regulatory Authorities.
- Public Sector Undertakings.
- Scheduled Commercial Banks and Public Financial Institutions.
- A letter issued by a Gazetted officer, with a duly attested photograph of the person.
Special Benefits under PMJDY Scheme
- Interest on deposit.
- Accidental insurance cover of Rs. 1 Lakh under RuPay scheme.
- No minimum balance required.
- The scheme provides life cover of Rs. 30,000/- payable on the death of the beneficiary, subject to fulfillment of the eligibility condition, i.e., accounts opened between 15.08.2014 - 31.01.2015.
- Easy Transfer of money across India.
- Beneficiaries of Government Schemes will get Direct Benefit Transfer in these accounts.
- After a satisfactory operation of the account for 6 months, an overdraft facility will be permitted.
- Access to Pension, insurance products.
- The claim under Personal Accidental Insurance under PMJDY shall be payable if the Rupay Cardholder have performed minimum one successful financial or non-financial customer induced transaction within 90 days before the date of the accident including the accident date. The transaction can be at any Bank Branch, Bank Mitra, ATM, POS, E-COM, etc., Channel both intra and inter bank i.e., on-us (Bank Customer / Rupay card holder transacting at same Bank channels) and off-us (Bank Customer / Rupay card holder transacting at other Bank Channels). This forms the eligibility for the Rupay Insurance Program 2018-2019.
- Overdraft facility up to Rs. 5,000/- is available in only one account per household, preferably lady of the household.